Monday 2 February 2009

First glimpse of life in Hackney Wick


So, living in Hackney began last week. I will reveal more about the area in good time, once you've all come to see it first hand. For today I'm just posting because we've had SNOW! The first picture is the garden, viewed from the first floor.


London is so ill-equipped for snow that when I woke up this morning I was astonished to find that a mere 4 inches had resulted in ALL bus services across the entire city (population 8 million) being withdrawn. All of them. And about half of the tube lines were down. Most trains weren't running. And as the snow was up to about 5 inches by the time I was ready to go to work, I wasn't realistically about to do a 5 1/2 mile commute on foot wearing shallow shoes. I did give it a go, however, and made it about 100 yards before I was walking with packed snow in the bottom of my shoes.

It's been snowing all day, and these are the views from the window as I work from home.

4 comments:

mememommer said...

Lovely view!

mememommer said...

Lovely view!

Annie Chase said...

so were they mad that you didn't go to work?

Sam said...

Well, they would have preferred if I had made it in to work. But then I wouldn't have got as much work done if I'd have spent 5 hours walking to and from work in the snow!