Saturday 17 March 2007

My brush with Bobby and Terry the Fish

Today I went for my usual run, but when I got to MI6 and reached the spot I always tag before turning around and running home, there was an armed police man standing there. Because he was just around a corner, I didn't see him until I was two feet away from him. He looked at me with a mixture of suspicion and alarm. I touched my usual spot (a side security entrance) and said 'hi'. He responded with a confused 'hi', and I was on my way.
Tomorrow will be mothers' day here. As it happens, my mother is coming to England tonight, and she doesn't realise it's going to be mothers' day. In keeping with English tradition, I'm going to cook her lunch tomorrow. So after my run I went to the grocer and butcher to get a nice shoulder of lamb and some vegetables to roast. When I stopped in at the florist shop, a person in the back of the shop shouted to the person at the counter, 'Terry the Fish called. He's coming by and he wants a dozen carnations.' I was bemused by this East End gangster name. In all my time in England, I've never heard of an actual person with a name like that, other than in films such as Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. The other florist turned around and said, 'Terry the Fish? Who's he? Oh - you mean Terry Fish. Not Terry the Fish.' Needless to say, I was disappointed.

1 comment:

Me said...

You're SO going to get shot.